You may observe a few different strange behaviors when attempting to install the LearnKey CDs. These errors may include any of the following:
- A false reading of your installed version of Windows Media Player (6.4)
- Software will not install
- A C4DLL.DLL error appears
- Continuously looping message indicating that you must update Windows Media Player from version 6.4
- No sound card is detected
- A CodeBase error appears
- The Initializing, Please Wait message flashes on the screen and then disappears
- The course does not launch
With the release of updates and newer versions of Windows, some DLL file locations were changed that help identify the version of Windows Media Player and sound card settings.The software on the CD you have installed is most likely outdated and needs to be completely removed. Version 3.0 of the LearnKey training software is available and can be downloaded for free.
SolutionThe steps below will help you uninstall any old versions of LearnKey files and folders, perform a fresh installation, and install an updated version of the runtime software.
- Download and install LearnKey Uninstaller from this link: Download
- Place your course CD into the CD drive. In the AutoPlay window, select Open folder to view files or explore the files on the CD using Windows Explorer
- Right-click the Setup.exe file and click Run as Administrator and follow the on-screen instructions. Be sure that the Install To directory is set to C:\LearnKey\Velocity\runtime
- Download and install the appropriate update for your product from the list below
If you receive a message stating the updater can not find files to update at this path, either you have downloaded the wrong update, you are installing it into the wrong directory, or LearnKey course files do not yet exist on your computer. You must make an attempt to install the course before the update can be applied.
Advanced removal instructions
- Remove all LearnKey product files and folders in the list below. To see instructions for deleting files and folders, please go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-file-folder
- C:\LearnKey (entire directory)
- C:\Program Files\LearnKey (entire directory)
- Remove the registry key listed below from the Windows registry. To see instructions for removing registry keys, please go to http://support.microsoft.com/KB/136393
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\LearnKey (entire folder)